Orion Federal Credit Union, located at 821 Poplar in Memphis, Tennessee, was awarded LEED Silver certification in October of 2017.
The building, located in Memphis’ Medical District, was constructed on a remediated brownfield site, which was once home to a gas station. The site was inactive, contaminated and rundown. Orion chose the site based on its commitment to impact the community.
The plan and construction of the building was guided by sustainable design and building principles that take into account social, environmental and economic priorities. This results in a high-performing building that is more energy efficient, uses less water, and has a higher indoor air quality.
Project highlights for the building include:
- Remediation and redevelopment of a Brownfield site, protecting future users from harmful materials and greatly reducing the need for the construction of new utilities or roads.
- Location that is walkable for staff and customers, with easy access to public transportation.
- Energy cost savings of 25% compared to a typical building of this type, utilizing efficient HVAC systems, all-LED lighting, and smart building construction.
- Low-VOC materials and increased outside air in HVAC systems, ensuring fresh, healthful air for building staff and customers.
- Materials used in construction containing high recycled content and sourced regionally when possible.
- Water-saving landscape design, using drought-resistant plantings that eliminate the need for irrigation.
Entegrity served as the LEED consultant, and provided commissioning and energy modeling services. Archimania served as architect for the project, and Grinder, Tabor & Grinder was the general contractor.